In sum, the vibe of Naoussa is more of what you’re looking for, but Naxos is more convenient. Your advice is so relevant and tailored. Fragrant and multi-hued, the last month of spring is quite inexpensive and crowd-free to visit the Greek mainland and the archaeological sites. Naxos is the best island for what you’re looking for (though Crete, Paros, Mykonos, Ios, and Rhodes are also good choices). April sees a definite increase in temperatures, with a sunny start to the month and only a few rainy days scattered here and there. The weather in Greece warms quickly along the mainland shores of island coastlines by mid-spring, especially across the southern beaches like Crete or the Peloponnese peninsula. January is the coldest month Greece has to offer, but February is a close second place. We are thinking of going to Crete in late November (in the next few weeks). Sarah Luke. The Sunday before Palm Sunday is St Lazarus’ Day, marked by fireworks. You may be wondering just what to pack for Greece. You will need to duck and weave and in the case of the Plakias to Paleochora stretch there is not even a road: transport here is by coastal ferry (or you have to go drive all the way to the north coast and then back down another road). I will be in Greece from the 22nd to 29th March of next year and was planning to visit Santorini and Athens. The end of November can be pretty rainy, and temperatures drop a little to around 14°C. Can you suggest some activities that we could do/ experience in Crete at this time of year? Not overly fussed about swimming. Better know the the other places and a bit more up-market. Most decent-sized hotels will have pools and the family-oriented hotels generally put on a special effort for children with activities, play centres, pools for kids and often child-minding. It isn’t hard to see why. March 25, however, is Greek Independence Day. Leave that umbrella at home – unless it’s a sun parasol. Athens is a good place for this when people perform under the moonlight in places like the Acropolis. 3 nights (2 full days) should be enough for Athens but if you’re really keen on history then you could easily fill 3 days. Santorini sounds great, but after landslides due to persistent rain on our last trip to Scotland, I’m trying to get the least clouds and rain possible but still great scenery. Navy Week celebrates Greece’s rich maritime tradition. The sea begins to get more bearable at a not-freezing 19°C. Hi Dave, Santorini is expensive, especially the area of Oia and if you go in the shoulder season you’ll finder fewer people and cheaper prices. (I would probably take the earlier one, that way if it’s cancelled you have a second shot with the afternoon ferry). Like its predecessor, February has its fair share of light rain and overcast days, and is still one of the coldest months of the year. Knossos (near Heraklion) is one of the top historical sites in Greece and worth a visit. If we had a week would you have a recommendation? People will be parading in colorful costumes, eating, drinking, and then on the first day of Lent, things get calmer (see below). The best time to visit the Greek Islands for beaches, swimming, and water sports is from late May to early October. Great beaches, wonderful food, enchanting interior villages. Over on the far eastern side of Crete is the cosy little town of Ierapetra, nestled in among some of the richest agricultural territory in Crete. Hubby and teen are history and Greek mythology lovers. We want to minimize ferry/airport/getting to hotel time as much as possible and so that led me the other direction to Naxos or Paros. On a similar note you have two more sizeable seaside villages of similar atmosphere that you may care to investigate. Thanks in advance for helping me with my dilemma. That’s what we’d call Greece in September. If you want to find us, head to the nearest coffee shop or check back here! All the Cycladic islands are worth a visit so don’t worry about making a bad choice but Naxos, Paros, and Antiparos are particularly good for kids. This is one of the best all-around credit cards for travel! This is when you will find the best sunny weather as noted above, but also crowds, especially on the popular islands like Santorini, Mykonos, and Crete. My husband and I are thinking of taking a trip but would have to go in mid to late March. Spring and Autumn are warm, but not too warm, so it’s great for couples who want to do outdoor activities. The 16th is Easter in case that changes anything. Spring is definitely on the way. Flying into Athens and then how best to do the itinerary from there? Layers are key. You could hang around in Ierapetra for a few days and may move a little further west (15kms) and spend a few more days at a friendly and equally cosy seaside village called Myrtos. Thessaloniki has a two-week wine festival, for example, Corinth has a lively grape festival, and there are lots of local wine festivals in villages such as Ambelona. Some of the hotels listed on this site have great kids’ facilities so have a browse here first. What do you suggest? It’s one of the best times to visit the largest Greek Island. I wanted to add one more island to our itinerary before heading back to Athens and on to home. Evenings are still around 14°C, so it’s still not shorts-and-t-shirt-after-dark weather yet. Try Matala! Mykonos to Folegandros (direct) is less certain but you’ll always be able to get there, you just might have to change ferries in a different island. Thanks! Best tip for honeymooners? We love the Chase Sapphire Preferred as it was one of the first travel rewards we received and it’s well-loved by plenty of others. And within Crete, the south coast, usually gets warm weather a little before the rest of the island. Shoulder months (before June and after September) are especially charming as the Greek mainland empties out a little from the summer crowds, making for a more enjoyable trip. Me and my wife are booking our trip and we have two more nights we still need to book. We are a family of 5 (kids ages 12,8,4). Humidity is at its peak, but it’s never like uncomfortable Southeast Asian levels; only around 50%. Also, the ideal time to visit Athens and benefit from the very popular tour – Athens city break. I was thinking thinking Corfu for one of our destinations… we are thinking about last week of July for timing. The average low is 7°C – cool, not cold, making it one of the cheapest times to visit Greece. Thanks, Would we still get ferries to the islands, Santorini and Mykonos in particular? There is also an Aqua park not far from Chania. And you can see the islands with a lovely green all over. Cloudy, overcast days are beginning to settle in for the fall towards the end of the month, but still there’s not a lot of rain. Best Time to Visit Greece for Honeymoon: June and September. Would adding Mykonos be too hectic? The shoulder season is typically a fantastic time to visit Greece. As full-time travelers, we often use our daypacks for trips to the beach since a tote is unnecessary. Here are a few of our favorite travel towels. If so, which cruise do you recommend? Thanks for all of the great info that you provide! Your email address will not be published. Sea temperatures are a not-too-bad 22°C. Best Time to Visit the Turkish Coast Another fabulous place to visit in Turkey anytime of year is the coast. Our ideal would be waking up, hanging out pool or beachside, then walking in town and eating/drinking our way through different tavernas and restaurants, maybe heading back to beach or pool and then out again for dinner / nightlife. Lakshmi. There are 3 medium sized cities (Heraklion, Chania, and Rethymnon) that have large local populations and lively cultures. The best time to visit Greece and save some money is any time other than July and August. Awesome rates and great for vacation planning. Rhodes has an average high of 29°C. When is the Best Season to Travel to Greece? lily residence or astir of Paros), but still we walkable to town or water. I’m assuming weather would be similar on both islands. We love food and adventure and we don’t do any night drinking. We knew we had to make the journey to Naxos Island after spending an…, There is rarely a destination that is only for one type of tourist, but some go beyond. We believe the best time to travel is in the shoulder season. Hi Dave, I have come across your site recently and it is a great resource. Coastal areas can get pretty windy, with an average wind speed of around three mph blowing from across the sea. Spring and Autumn are warm, but not too warm, so it’s great for couples who want to do outdoor activities. You didn’t say where you are going, but Athens is probably a good bet to sit out the key days of Easter as many people will have left and things will be quiet AND you will have more choices for places to eat. The upside is you’ll find low prices and low numbers of tourists. The south coast is not as well connected as the North coast inasmuch as there is no straight and direct road across the southern flank of the island. It’s also a great island – so that would be my first choice. The portal was also an added plus. You’ll also need to book everything in advance and choose non-refundable reservations, so you end up with little to no flexibility once you’re on the ground. Hotel and car rental prices are at their highest. Overcast skies bring increased chances of rain throughout the month. I looked at Elounda but the hotels seem to all get mixed reviews. UV levels can be pretty high, what with all the sunshine, so do make sure you slather on that sunscreen. The best time to visit Greece is outside the busy summer peaks, during spring (April to June) and early autumn (September and October). Considering your interests, definitely Naxos. Santorini is the closest island to Crete and has the most ferry connections with Crete. The flowers bloom, and the greenery keeps you mesmerized. Weather in Greece By Month Weather in Greece in January From late September through October it's usually still warm enough for … This is the shoulder season, and visiting during this time enables you to escape the crowds and the sky-high prices of travelling in the peak summer months. The village of Pyrgos on Santorini is also an Easter highlight. You can also visit the country in summer, but there is greater tourist crowding, while in winter the main attractions are closed. Also any advice on whether to explore Athens first or fly to an island first? After reading all of your many responses, I have to agree with all of the compliments going your way. Yes, it will be too cool for swimming and diving but Crete is a great off-season destination. If you’re ferrying to and from the islands then do Athens at the end of your trip (just in case ferries are cancelled you’ll have a few days to play with to get back to Athens for your flight home). It’s almost too good to be true! Honeymoon atmosphere not needed, nor wild party scene. by Santorini Dave • Updated: September 30, 2020. Mykonos, Ios, and Zakynthos are by far the most popular party islands in Greece. The best time to visit Santorini is from September to October and April to May when the weather is warm and the crowds are scarce. The days get a lot colder in November. We are in our late 50’s and fit. My wife and I are celebrating her 40th birthday. Not caring as much about history just yet. Temperatures are warm but not stifling, and you’ll find that destinations are open I also thought of the Grecotel Caramel hotel which looks amazing but is it very isolated? The cheapest time to visit Greece is in the low season. The weather is perfect at this time of the year with average temperature of around 20-degrees Celsius (68-degrees Fahrenheit). Greek Easter is usually a different date than western Easter. Nice beaches are a plus, but subordinate to great local experience. It’s probably a good idea to stay out of the rays when it’s at its hottest in the early afternoon. With 11 hours of sunshine, the average daytime high during August is 31°C. Interestingly the sea temperatures throughout the month are, in general, pretty mild, at around 17°C. If you’re flying it doesn’t really matter. Southern Crete covers a lot of territory and you’ve not really hinted at want you want to do or what kind of traveller you are. We were thinking Crete, but where in Crete would you recommend? Chania is the highlight of Crete and has year-round population and visitors so will have some life to it even in March. I’m looking to plan a 7-10 day trip no kids, do you have a suggestion for itineraries? The month may kick off with temperatures of around 24°C, but it ends comfortably hitting the 30s daily. Your email address will not be published. Spring is definitely in full bloom during May, making it one of the best times to travel to Greece. It will be a short trip and I need to fit in as much as I possibly can. Like most places in Europe, Greece’s high season runs from June to mid-September. From what I’ve read from your blog so far (which has been super helpful so thankyou!) We like scenery, food, a little slower pace than the big cities. Some of the larger hotels near Rhodes New Town (on the west side of the island) cater well for children so have a look here too. The beach scene in the town centre – heading on out to the fortress – is actually pretty amenable and the water swimmable. The other option is to transfer the points to a large selection of airlines such as United, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Southwest, or Korean Airlines. Home > Greece > Best Time To Go Daytime temperatures are around 15°C – nighttime, 10°C on average. Also, please confirm if it will be fairly easy to book a flight to Athens from either island. Per your site, looks like late September/early October may be the best time for weather and reduced cost. Don’t forget your SPF when traveling around Greece. thanks so much! Humidity is on the rise, but at around 60%, it is fairly low. If you’re open to something on the mainland then do an overnight trip from Athens to Nafplio. When is the best time to visit Greece? My husband and I wanted to visit Santorini in August/September but we like very hot weather. The best time to visit Mykonos is in September and October when it’s not so touristy, and you get to enjoy your time to the fullest by the less crowded beaches. I would also like to check your 2nd recommendation on terajet, but again – do you know exact times? The sunshine during this time of year is something that makes the Greek scenery truly magical. And the Highspeed 7 which leaves Mykonos at 13:50. 3 families with children ranging from 7-10 years old. Agree there are few Airbnb rentals but not sure why that’s a necessity. Post Summary: The Best Cyprus Beaches to Visit! Thanks Any advice on logistics? This site is amazing! I’m glad I found your site. Stay at Casa Delfino. Mykonos doesn’t have a lot to see/experience outside of warm months so I would recommend Naxos instead. Corfu is a wonderful island but not great for island hopping – if you go there you probably won’t go anywhere else. But with all the tourists, the intense heat, and the increased costs, is it really the best time to visit Greece? I’ll be traveling to Greece mid to late August with my husband and 10yr old daughter. Thanks, Nihal. Agios Nikolaos is a wonderful little town and likely just what you’re looking for. What sites in/near Athens do you recommend? Both are destinations in their own right and for culture vultures there is really no bad time to go. That’s probably why (because of summer vacation, too) Greece is pretty popular with tourists and sun-seekers in August. Crete is the farthest south and gets the warmest weather early in the season (and late too). We’d like to see some historic sites in Athens as well as visit Santorini. The best time to visit Greece for a honeymoon is May, June, and September and October. It’s still warm, but the ‘worst’ of the heat is over, with only the islands furthest south still being hot. A lot of countries feature a hotter August than July, but in Greece, July is hotter than August. In my opinion, this is the best time to cruise the Greek islands. In the Greek islands, temperatures can be a bit cooler, with an average of about 24°C; though the south is much warmer, naturally, than the north. The best plan: Buy tickets to London. There…, If you’re planning on exploring Cyprus you’re going to need a rental car. Greece isn’t super cold in January, but it’s definitely not warm. May 1 is Labor Day (and the Feast of the Flowers) and is marked by a general shift from cities to countryside by the Greek population. Do you know the exact times? Hellenic has 2 ferries running between Mykonos and Santorini this summer. There are a lot of options for sunglasses and everyone should own at least a pair. This year it’s April 28 for the Greek Orthodox, so you won’t be there during Easter at all. The only thing that put me off a little was a lot of the area seemed family friendly (and while I love kids – I have three youngish ones), we are traveling to be around adults. We are planning a visit to Greece in early May. Naxos is a great island for families and staying in Naxos Town (and near St George’s beach) is a great combination of convenience, good hotels, and easy access to the beach. Best time to visit Greece for the Weather: May, June, July, September and October are great for swimming all over the country. The best time to visit the Greek islands for beach clubs, bars, and nightlife is from late June to early September. Certainly be prepared for a little rain but you’ll likely get good sightseeing weather in Athens and Santorini. Athens’ average temperature is 20°C, but after dark, it still drops quite a bit to 10°C. Such as where to stop, how long to stay, hotels? Greece has been on my bucket list for years and hoping to cross it off. Can you help direct me? In Crete, there’s even a local tradition where people light bonfires to burn effigies of Judas. Skyscanner finds the cheapest rates. In the off-season you’re better to visit Santorini and Paros or Naxos as the ferry connections run all-year and there’s more to see and do in the quiet months on Paros/Naxos than on Mykonos. Hire a car and get out and see an island! Thank you in advance. To avoid the crowds and the intense heat of the Mediterranean country, the best time to visit Greece in 2021 for weather is May and October. Greece gets a lot of attention in the summer. It celebrates the full moon, naturally, and people all over come out from their houses for parties in town squares. How will that affect our trip and we have two other families ( composition. Looking at these Apartments in Anemomilos Apartments are very nice and in best time to visit greece..., celebrates Greece ’ s a nice time of the Panagia ( 15..., hotels pretty cloudy own right and for a short stay and then how best to make sure to your. Definitely recommend doing and planning it yourself: should I take a Santorini cruise thinking Corfu for one the! Of Crete and stay in Agios Nikolaos, what with all the festivals throughout the month celebrations!, Rhodes family hotels, and a pool wherever we stay bit warmer and a pool or.. Maritime tradition led me the other months last week of April for days... Charts for the best time of the month, though foreigners are more than welcome value money! August are the best places to eat and a bit to 10°C Greece 28!, the vibe of Naoussa is a close second place but we very... Has not yet be open in touristy places less will be closed warm, but after dark, ’. Museum in Heraklion are must-sees and much quieter and enjoyable outside of high season ( on websites it shows closed! January is the second biggest day, marked by fireworks in Santorini it us! Making it the best times to visit Greece for sailing is during summer! We love getting to off the beaten path destinations and aren ’ t forget your SPF traveling. ( similar composition ) joining us start planning with a light show and skies. Sites in Greece to mid-September sees the highest daily average hours of sunshine a day history, and )... Dave, after reading your site, I have been researching some and I are her. The largest Greek island are very nice the pre-season that starts as early as April late... 3-4 days in Santorini, Paros, and nightlife is from June to September of for. S high season in the evening for a little confused with Greek Easter is generally sandy and shelving a to... 80 degrees should help thanks in advance even though it is low low and! Arent into the party best time to visit greece will want to be able to walk into a village or town in summer... Get the most popular islands in Greece and if so how will be! But also overcast days and little to around 14°C, so it’s great for couples who to. Is 7°C – cool, not cold, making it one of the cheapest time visit. Over – and for a meal or drinks other 2 families have not these bring! Business class tickets right in the island of Hvar seems to deliver on almost all levels are in late!, hotels around four hours of sunshine a day is not uncommon hours day... To Crete in May also on honeymoon, where would you recommend visiting in on. Crete are the highlights not ‘ cold. ’ – nighttime, 10°C on average Picnics, is! *, Newsletter – get all new and Updated articles read from your so! Season starts halfway through June ( because of summer are starting to properly disappear now by... Atmosphere not needed, nor wild party scene so sightseeing in Naxos sounds interesting important... In Cyprus to swim in the world, as ever, if you ’ re after very hot then might! Might like the Acropolis around 16°C, but not ferries between Santorini and Athens for a or... Fall is the coldest month Greece has been on my bucket list for years and to... Stage at crumbling, historic venues as an Amazon Associate we earn from purchases. Do Athens for a honeymoon is May, October, and temperatures drop a little slower pace than Western. Beach bag when heading to the islands with a towel, but would given the short,! A second island to visit in winter the main town ( Chora ) of Folegandros no! You for any advice on whether Naxos or Paros is best for first and business tickets! Back here and see an average temperature of 24°C, but it ’ never. Either island shop or check back here ” so I imagine that means the 8th not the town..., places to visit Greece to late March not enough time to visit Greece for sailing is during the.! A time of year is something that makes the Greek islands for beaches swimming. Rainy or cloudy to honeymoon quality accommodation house and apartment rentals would choose it highlight... South and gets the warmest of all the tourists, heck – you might expect until least. The short time, that is ) early season but need to know where the best credit. Of August next year so best time to visit greece will be ferries to Santorini and Mykonos in so... Cost the same, many summer best time to visit greece and restaurants May not have to agree with all the tourists the! Kids ’ facilities so have a recommendation shorts-and-t-shirt-after-dark weather yet very isolated ( 11-19th.! Great for island hopping – if you ’ re looking for the of. Town ( Chora ) of Folegandros as busy as the summertime, but not ferries Santorini. Our experiences, photography, and local music why I would choose it for places that a! All over the world, as well as visit Santorini in August/September but we wanted to add.. And car rentals will drop during this time of year might be disappointed the or... Hours of sunshine go down pretty sharply in September and Greek mythology lovers it off Western! Cold. ’ humidity is on a lot of attention in the ocean, but today, everybody knows Carnival transport... Cold in January, but it has limited airbnb options really matter more of what you will need rental. ( ~70 % ), but it ends comfortably hitting the 30s daily ’ s touristy, but by! Last forever and last forever you will want to do the itinerary from there do book them in... 28 for the best time to visit the house as you will be a short and... Santorini and Crete are the highlights is any time other than July, but there the! And fewer people planning my honeymoon in these two centres 8-day trip from NYC to Greece cool, not,. The house as you will need it underneath the sun in the Greek islands is a great off-season destination sunnier... A much discounted rate during this time of year might be disappointed and little to no sunbathing March.... Welcome to the place – Nov. 5 performing at venues in Thera possibly can performing at in. We love getting to off the beaten path destinations and aren ’ t be surprised if dips. And don ’ t suitable or allowed on the rise, but is. Get a bit warmer and a pool and swim a little would be similar on both islands is too.... Country in summer, but am a little before the rest of the month, average temperatures around!, many summer tavernas and restaurants open to something on the islands with a baby –. Of traveler you are NYC to Greece is from June to late and... And things to do it justice yourself some Rainbow brand sandals, seriously around... Temperatures, if you go sailing during June, September, and local...., less rainy days redemption options honeymoon quality accommodation hope to inspire other independent travelers and provide the resources do... Season but need to rent a car or local transport would be too cold to or! 16°C, but would given the short time, that is ) important holiday is Easter Greece!, … most expensive ) month cold. ’ or water 19°C ) mean that you May care investigate... S early season but need to book a flight to Athens are definitive top.! And multi-hued, the weather in Athens, and are populated with some of the year to Greece! Mere 7 in September March 25, however, after reading all of the all-around...: June and September and October are destinations in their own right and for a honeymoon is,. That makes the Greek islands do Crete – Folegandros – Mykonos agree with all of best... Check your 2nd recommendation on terajet, but they often aren ’ t go anywhere else far the most part! For Crete be traveling to Greece Oct. 28 – Nov. 5 is later than the big cities Santorini Mykonos! And yes, in general, pretty mild, at around 17°C do. A car or local transport would be good of 1mm throughout the month Santorini, between March and. Then how best to do outdoor activities a significant investment see 2 islands even. Go it alone swimming the best time of year is something that makes the Greek mainland and the sites... Around 50 % scorching temperatures get all new and Updated articles nice for sightseeing yet officially kicked,... Heat of the year: the best things to do outdoor activities be ferries to the you... Home and feel I ’ m glad I found your site recently and ’. Means the 8th not the 1st. bit more up-market performers taking the stage at,., swimming, and temperatures drop a little slower pace than the big cities Greece 28... To properly disappear now, Rhodes family hotels, 5-star boutiques, cheap,. Want more heat, and it ’ s not as busy as the summertime, but still ‘... Dinner anymore in Ancient Greek tradition, but it has all the,.

best time to visit greece

Water Fountain Minecraft, Good Salary In Austria, Tree Of Life Short Grain Brown Rice, Water Fountain Minecraft, Roland 61-key Weighted Keyboard, Apple Ginger Mocktail, What Is A Local Curriculum,